Some of you guys may be on the lookout for a jailbreak for Apple’s iOS 4 on your 3GS or even a jailbreak your iPhone 4. Unfortunately there is no known jailbreak out for doing either one of these things. If you have upgraded to iOS 4 on your iPhone 3GS, you’ll just have to wait until a real jailbreak comes out from the jailbreaking community. All of the major players from that community release their jailbreaks for no cost at all. In fact the well known Dev Team won’t even take donations for the work they have put in on jailbreaking software.
goldra1n reportedly costs somewhere around $25 and from every report/forum I have seen across, is entirely bunk. None of the developers that have been part of the other jailbreaks have had anything to do with this jailbreak. My advice is, if it costs money, don’t do it. It’s not a real release because the people behind those releases don’t believe in charging.
That all being said, if you have an iPhone 3G and have upgraded to the iOS 4 and want to jailbreak your phone, you are in luck. Dev Team has the goods for you.
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.01
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.01 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
- If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.01 ipsw using DFU mode.
- If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.